Carlton Football Club’s Adam Saad has expressed his disappointment over an Islamophobic remark allegedly directed at him by a spectator during Saturday night’s game at Adelaide Oval.
- The AFL is investigating discriminatory comments allegedly made by an Adelaide spectator
- Carlton’s Adam Saad says he’s disappointed and more education is needed
- Police and stadium security responded to the incident during the game
While at the airport waiting to fly out of Adelaide, Saad said he was aware of the alleged remark, which is being investigated by the AFL.
“It’s disappointing,” he said.
“At the end of the day, I know who I am as a person and us as a Muslim community.”
“As long as we can educate the person and move things forward.
“Those things shouldn’t be said.”
The Carlton Cheer Squad posted on Twitter that they were frustrated with the response by police and security at the oval, tagging the AFL, Carlton Football Club, Adelaide Football Club, the Adelaide Oval and SA Police in the post.
“Cops, Security, Ground Staff ‘talk to her’ and say ‘it’s been dealt with’ and tell us to leave it at that and she isn’t even kicked out of the ground.”
The AFL issued a statement on Sunday, saying that it is allegedly investigating comments made by a spectator at Adelaide Oval.
“Football is a place of inclusion and belonging, and there is no place for racist behavior in our game,” the statement said.
“Nobody in our game, or in the community, deserves to be discriminated against and vilified against due to their faith or race and there is simply no excuse for it.”
The Adelaide Football Club has also confirmed it is investigating.
“We do not tolerate, and strongly condemn, any form of discriminatory behavior and it has no place in football or society,” the statement said.
“Adelaide Oval should be an inclusive and family-friendly environment.”
A spokesperson for South Australia Police said officers and Adelaide Oval security attended the area on Saturday night and obtained the details of the people allegedly involved in the incident.
They said the matter had been referred to the AFL and Adelaide Oval Stadium Management Authority for investigation.
South Australia Premier Peter Malinauskas said it was hard for him to comment on the matter because he did not know all of the circumstances.
“What I can say is this: Those sorts of comments aren’t welcome at the footy but also it’s true that, when they occur, they represent an absolute minority,” he said.
“The majority of people go the footy, they can get fired up but do it in an appropriate and respectful way, cognisant of the fact that it’s a family friendly environment.”