Tyson Fury has once again announced his retirement from boxing, despite revealing plans to return to the ring only four days ago.
The Gypsy King has fluctuated in and out of retirement he first announced following his stunning knockout victory over British rival Dillian Whyte in April.
Only as recently as Monday did Fury publicly announce his intention to return as he called out fellow heavyweight Derek Chisora, later stating long-term friend Isaac Lowe will replace SugarHill Steward as his new coach.
Tyson Fury has once again announced his decision to retire from boxing, on his 34th birthday
Fury first revealed his decision to retire after emphatically stopping Dillian Whyte (left) in April
Fury also publicly called out strongman Hafthor Bjornsson ahead of a proposed exhibition bout on Thursday, having flown out to Iceland to confront the 33-year-old in person – only to end up at the pub after finding out he was in a different country.
The Briton, on his 34th birthday, has performed a sudden U-turn, however, now revealing he will never return to the ring.
‘Massive thanks to everyone who had an input in my career over the years and after long hard conversations I’ve finally decided to walk away and on my 34th birthday I say bon voyage,’ he posted on his social media platforms.
Fury also thanked a number of those close to him for their help throughout his career, including promoter Frank Warren, his father John, trainers SugarHill Steward and Ben Davison, and wife Paris.
The Gypsy King – who has both claimed it would take £500million to return and that he wants to fight Anthony Joshua for free – gave no mention to the WBC belt he still owns, with president Mauricio Sulaiman previously insisting the world champion would be provided ample time to come to an official decision.
Fury revealed his latest update on social media as he thanked a number of those close to him
It comes after promoter Frank Warren (right) insisted Fury is itching to return to the ring
Fury’s announcement, which has been met by fierce scrutiny on social media, also comes just days after Warren insisted his fighter has ‘itchy feet’ and will likely return to the ring soon.
Warren admitted the outcome of the highly-anticipated August 20 rematch between Joshua and Oleksandr Usyk would impact his decision, with Fury widely expected to face the winner next in an historic undisputed showdown.
‘I think what’s going to happen is, see what happens on 20 [August] and the outcome of that, and that’ll determine what he intends to do in the future,’ Warren told talkSPORT.
‘My opinion – this is not from him, it’s from me: I think he will [return], because he’s a fighting man and he misses it. That’s what he does, he wants to fight.’
Warren insists Fury is awaiting the outcome of the rematch between Anthony Joshua (right) and Oleksandr Usyk (left) on August 20
Fury, who made his debut back in 2008, has claimed memorable victories over Wladimir Klitschko and Deontay Wilder, with his record currently standing at 32 wins, one draw and no defeats.
The champion has over the years been criticized for the lack of elite names on his resume, however, and the failure to secure an undisputed showdown against either Joshua or Usyk would not help his case.
Few believed Fury’s initial retirement claim, and few will believe his latest update, however, with US promoter Bob Arum earlier this week insisting the Gypsy King should not be taken seriously.
‘The truth is that he gets up in the morning and he figures how he can best stir up s*** and that’s what he does,’ Arum told Fight Freaks Unite.
‘You think Isaac [Lowe] take it seriously? Of course not, for Christ’s sake. [Fury] is just having fun. It’s his idea of fun. He’s getting a little antsy as we all are because we’re waiting.
‘If Usyk wins then there’s one path to take because then everybody is close and friendly and if Joshua wins then we’ve got to deal with (Joshua promoter) Eddie [Hearn] and all that stuff.’