A police spokesperson confirmed authorities had obtained the details of those allegedly involved.
“Police and Adelaide Oval security attended the area and obtained details of people alleged to be involved in this incident,” they said.
“The matter has been referred to the AFL and Adelaide Oval SMA for investigation.”
The incident remains under active investigation, according to the Adelaide Football Club, the stadium and the league’s integrity unit.
“The AFL is currently allegedly investigating comments made by a spectator at AO last night,” the league said in a statement.
“Football is a place of inclusion and belonging and there is no place for racist behavior in our game.
“Nobody in our game or in the community deserves to be discriminated against and vilified against due to their faith or race and there is simply no excuse for it.”
The Crows said they were attempting to confirm details of the allegations, including whether the spectator was a club member.
“The Adelaide Football Club is investigating reports of an alleged racially motivated comment made by a spectator during Saturday night’s game against Carlton,” they said on Sunday morning.
“We do not tolerate and strongly condemn any form of discriminatory behaviour, and it has no place in football or society. Adelaide Oval should be an inclusive and family-friendly environment.”
A Carlton spokesperson said the club’s integrity officer contacted the league’s integrity unit after the game. They said they would await the league’s verdict before responding to the allegations.
“The club is fully aware of the seriousness of the alleged comments, and has been providing the appropriate level of support to its people as the matter is investigated,” the Blues said in a statement released on Sunday afternoon.
“The club makes clear that vilification of any kind is disgraceful, unacceptable and has no place in society, let alone our game. Further comment will be provided once the investigation is completed in full.”
Adelaide Oval has launched an investigation into the behavior of the patron, alongside the AFL.
“We will be reviewing the matter with the AFL and Adelaide Football Club to consider any appropriate sanctions and/or stadium ban,” a spokesperson said.
“We condemn all anti-social behavior and have strict guidelines for all patrons.”
According to the stadium’s code of conduct, all patrons must “use appropriate language, without threatening, foul or abusive content based on race, religion, sexuality or gender”. Any spectators that fail to satisfy this requirement may be removed from the venue.
“Depending on the severity of the behaviour, anyone evicted may incur a ban, suspension of membership and/or police charges,” the code states.
Saad, a former Essendon and Suns player, joined the Blues in 2020. He is currently the only practicing Muslim in the league and is having a sterling season so far, averaging of 21.8 disposals, 4.2 rebound-50s and 5.3 marks per game.
The 28-year-old has stood against racial discrimination, including in 2018 when he and fellow Muslim player Bachar Houli tossed the coin alongside the team captains in a sign of solidarity after the inflammatory anti-immigration remarks of then Senator Fraser Anning.
Keep up to date with the best AFL coverage in the country. Sign up for the Real Footy newsletter.