The Northern Territory Chief Minister is under renewed pressure to allow the anti-corruption watchdog to access secret cabinet documents that were the subject of a “serious allegation”.
Key points:
The ICAC was told a cabinet submission was allegedly inappropriately edited by a public officer
Michael Gunner declined a request to give the material to the ICAC, citing cabinet privilege
The Opposition says Natasha Fyles should overturn Mr Gunner’s earlier decision
In a report tabled in parliament last month, Independent Commissioner Against Corruption, Michael Riches, said he initiated an investigation after receiving a claim that a cabinet submission had been “edited” by a public officer “so as to be misleading to the true state of affairs”.
However, because current legislation prevents the ICAC from accessing cabinet-related material, Mr Riches said he “invited” then chief minister Michael Gunner to consider handing over the relevant documents.
Mr Gunner declined the request, which Mr Riches said was his legal right, but he added that doing so prevented further investigation.
Opposition leader Lia Finocchiaro has accused the Chief Minister of trying to avoid scrutiny. (ABC News: Che Chorley)
The Opposition has been calling for Ms Fyles, who took over from Mr Gunner in May, to handover the material, given she later agreed to grant the ICAC access to other cabinet-related documents that were the subject of a different allegation.
The Northern Territory’s former chief minister Michael Gunner’s electorate office has been broken into days after he quit politics, in what he has described as the latest in a series of “personal” attacks.
Key points:
Former chief minister Michael Gunner’s electorate office was broken into and ‘extensively damaged’
It comes days after his resignation as member for Fannie Bay, prompting a by-election on August 20
Both major parties have announced their candidates for the seat
According to NT Police, a 47-year-old man was arrested over the alleged unlawful entry and criminal damage of Mr Gunner’s office in the Darwin suburb of Parap.
Police received reports just after 4am this morning that a man had broken in and caused “extensive damage”.
“It was a very personal break in targeting photos of me and items of personal importance to me,” Mr Gunner — who stood down from his role as Member for Fannie Bay last week — said in a social media post.
“We’ll take advice from the police on what our next steps may need to be to keep my family safe.”
A 47-year-old man is expected to be charged over the break-in. (ABC News: Janus Gibson)
Mr Gunner said the break-in was the latest in a series of targeted incidents against him.
“This appears to be a continuation of behavior from a range of fixed individuals that has seen a number of incidents not limited to my family abused, filmed and our personal address revealed,” he said.
The alleged offender was arrested a short time after the break-in, with charges expected to be laid later today.
Michael Gunner believes a break-in at his electorate office was a ‘personal’ attack. (ABC New: Che Chorley)
Chief Minister Natasha Fyles also described the incident as a personal attack.
“Michael put his hand up and served our community for 14 years, he deserves now to have the opportunity to spend time with his family and feel safe in doing so,” she said.
“Sadly it’s something [safety] that all of us as members of parliament do consider.”
By-choice race heats up
Mr Gunner announced his resignation from politics in a speech to parliament last week, sparking a by-election in the seat of Fannie Bay, which has been held by several former chief ministers.