Detectives say a man arrested over the death of a woman in north Queensland had been in a relationship with the victim for several months.
Key points:
Police say there were no domestic violence orders in place between the pair
Autopsy results are set to be released tomorrow
Authorities say the man was arrested at a service station in Proserpine
Mother of four Tania Trickey, 44, was killed at Bluewater, near Townsville, some time on Saturday morning.
A group of teenagers riding quad bikes discovered the body on a sandy track in bushland that afternoon.
Police arrested a 38-year-old Deeragun man at a service station in Proserpine around 8:30pm on Sunday after his car was spotted by patrolling officers.
“Police were basically able to take him by surprise,” Detective Inspector Jason Shepherd said.
Police have seized the man’s vehicle, which will be subject to forensic examination.
“We hope to obviously find evidence that will link our person of interest and the vehicle to the crime scene [at Bluewater],” Detective Inspector Shepherd said.
Pair allegedly drove to remote area together
Police believe the woman died on Saturday.(ABC News: Lily Nothling)
Police said the man and Ms Trickey had been in a relationship for a few months.
The pair allegedly drove to the remote area at Bluewater together on Saturday where the woman was later found dead.
Detective Inspector Shepherd said they were able to identify the man after his vehicle was captured on dash-cam footage near the scene.
A lawsuit filed by the widow of NBA star Kobe Bryant over photos taken of his body immediately after his death will begin Wednesday US time in Los Angeles.
Key points:
Kobe Bryant died in a helicopter crash, along with his daughter, Gianna, and seven others, in January 2020
His widow is suing the LA County Sheriff’s Department and the city’s fire department for invasion of privacy over photos taken of her husband’s body
The lawsuit says police shared the graphic photos with firefighters and bar patrons after the crash
Vanessa Bryant is suing the LA County Sheriff’s Department and the city’s fire department for invasion of privacy, seeking unspecified millions in compensation for pictures taken of the basketballer’s body that were circulated after he was killed in a helicopter crash with their daughter and seven others in 2020 .
Mrs Bryant claims deputies did not take the photos for investigative purposes, and shared them with firefighters who responded to the crash scene. The lawsuit says a deputy showed the photos to bar patrons and a firefighter showed them to off-duty colleagues.
“Mrs Bryant feels ill at the thought that sheriff’s deputies, firefighters and members of the public have gawked at gratuitous images of her deceased husband and child,” according to the lawsuit.
“She lives in fear that she or her children will one day confront horrific images of their loved ones online.”
Kobe Bryant, their 13-year-old daughter, Gianna, and other parents and players were flying to a girls’ basketball tournament when their chartered helicopter crashed in the Calabasas hills, west of Los Angeles, in fog.
Federal safety officials later blamed pilot error for the wreck.
Firefighters at the scene of the helicopter crash that killed NBA star Kobe Bryant, along with his daughter and seven others, in January 2020.(AP Photo: Mark J Terrill)
Mrs Bryant has also sued the helicopter charter company and the deceased pilot’s estate.
The county has argued that Mrs Bryant has suffered emotional distress from the deaths, not the photos, which were ordered deleted by Sheriff Alex Villanueva.
It said the photos have never been in the media, on the internet nor otherwise publicly disseminated, and the lawsuit is speculative about harm she might suffer.
The body of a man has been found in a submerged car near the West Beach boat ramp in Adelaide.
Key points:
Two cars appear to have entered the water at West Beach overnight
A man’s body was found in one of them
Major Crime and other police are investigating
Police had been called at 6am after reports of two cars being in the water.
They had reportedly gone into the water at some stage overnight.
Water police searched the scene and found the body.
Western District detectives, Major Crime and forensics officers are investigating the incident.
The State Emergency Service is assisting with a search along the beach.
Police say they will disclose more information when it is known.
The West Beach boat ramp as seen from the Marine Safety SA webcam at midday.(Marine Safety S.A.)
Police have asked anyone who attended the boat ramp overnight or anyone who has any information that may assist to contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.
There has been strong winds overnight and this morning in Adelaide, with likes of more than 50kph being recorded at nearby Adelaide Airport at midday.
The boat ramp is operated by West Beach Parks and was recently upgraded by the Department for Infrastructure and Transport.
West Beach is located west of Adelaide Airport and north of Glenelg, in Adelaide’s western suburbs.